Embroidery and More
Embroidery and More

Other Embroidery

As well as the embroidery techniques I've included on other pages, I have tried a number of other techniques including silk shading, split stitch and a variety of other stitches.

This used a mix of techniques - couched gold, split stitch, knitting stitch and others. The two pieces were used as the front and back covers of a book. More details about the amking of the book are in the article below

Embroidered Pelican Book cover
A short article about the making of the book cover shown above
Embroidered Book Cover for Genevieve.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [643.6 KB]

I loved the lion on this needlecase, which was based on an image of a heraldic lion I came across on Wikipedia! More details about creating this are given in the article below

Lion needlecase and cover
Some more details about the needlecase shown above
Lion Needlecase.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [1.1 MB]

This needlecase and cover were made using a number of technqiues, and the details are given in the article below.

Needlecase and cover
Some details on how the needlecase above was made
needlecase and cover.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [431.1 KB]

An embroidered pouch flap. The emblem is done in Gobelin stitch, and the silver threads are couched on. The sun is actually a pewter emblem stitched on

This was based on an image I saw of the Canterbury Cross. 

The red infill was padded satin stitch in 2 strands of 60/2 silk, with gold #3 passing couched over the top to form the design. Gold purl pearl was couched around the outline of the cross. The centre of the cross, was gold kid, stitched over felt padding, with couched gold passing surrounding it, and couched gold purl pearl around the edge. The circular surround was coral stitch in 60/2 silk, with silver passing thread looped through to make a looped edging

I have done lots of different embroidered pouches and bags with Pelicans, as gifts. Here is a selection - some are done with split stitch, some are appliqued, some are stem stitch.

This was from a design published in the "Stitches" magazine, although I did vary it slightly, using lucet cord for the drawstring. It was entered into an SCA Arts & Sciences competition, and the entry is described in the article below


Details of my competition entry shown above
Entry - sweet bag.doc
Microsoft Word document [5.3 MB]

The pictures below were done as part of a couple of projects to create banners. They used a variety of techniques including split stitch, Bayeux tapestry stitch, chain stitch and back stitch

This pouch was one of the first pieces of free-form embroidery I did, and one of the first I did where I didn't have a pattern to follow. It uses a mix of techniques

I made several pouches using ver similar techniques - an emblem done with Gobelin stitch, appliqued to a leather pouch, then surrounded by couched purl pearl - these are shown below.

This needlecase uses a mix of techniques. The strawberries are detached buttonhole stitch, padded with offcuts of the same thread used ofr the detached buttonhole. The stems are stem stitch. The leaves are picot stitch. The border at the top is a mix of cross-stitch and beading. The spine was creaed from lucet cord,, with beads woven in. The design is based on one from the "Stitches" magazine.

The following two pictures show a modern take on a sweetbag, based on a kit/course from the Royal School of Needlework


The images below show a variety of whitework projects - these are all designs from courses I have attended, or from magazines

Here are just a selection of other things I have made 

Print Print | Sitemap
© Mary Frost